There has been continued concern about the proliferating rat population in and around Juniper Valley Park as well as in other locations in Maspeth and Middle Village. Unfortunately, residents are not always reporting these problems to 311. According to the online 311 map, for a 4-week period this summer, only 10 complaints of rodents were reported for the entire 11379 zip code. In order for the NYC Department of Health to know where the problems lie and take action, all rat sightings and conditions conducive to attracting rats should be reported to 311. If you are experiencing a rat problem on your own property, one way to repel them and raccoons is to buy Mint-X brand trash bags. The smell and flavor of mint is known to be distasteful to many animals and prevents them from chewing through your garbage.
Originally published in the September 2014 Juniper Berry Magazine
RATS WON'T LEAVE
by Christina Wilkinson
September 2014 Table of Contents
- Tony Vaccaro
- Still in good hands
- The Battle of Brooklyn
- REMINDER: ALL FLYERS ARE ILLEGAL
- Why Homele$$ne$$ is Big Business
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
- A Wheel(chair) Runaround
- SMILE! YOU'RE ON A SPEED CAMERA!
- Parking on Sidewalks & Walkways: Dumb & Dumber
- FOR COLIN FLOOD
- THEY KEEP ON TRUCKIN' ON GRAND AVE
- Annoying Verizon illegally sets up shop in residential zone
- SPEED BUMPS AT LONG LAST
- BIKE RACKS COMING TO LOCAL PO's
- Yes we have no papers, only trash
- ABBRACCIAMENTO'S TO BE DEMOLISHED THIS FALL
- OUT OF LUCK AFTER DARK
- ILLEGAL COLLECTION BINS
- A Fence Too High
- Add Sold, Ad for Realtor, Add Hefty $ Violation
- DOE FUND COMES BACK TO GRAND AVENUE
- CRACKDOWN ON SERVICE ROAD TRUCK PARKING
- SCOOP THAT POOP!
- RATS WON'T LEAVE
The Juniper Berry magazine, first published in 1938 is an all-volunteer effort containing articles on crime prevention, neighborhood issues, meeting reports and notices, neighborhood history and photographs, guest articles, editorials and more.
View Latest Issue
Connect with the JPCA
Sign up for breaking news alerts by entering your email address below.