History of the Christ the King High School site - JuniperCivic.com
Serving Middle Village and Maspeth since 1938.

Originally published in the September 2016 Juniper Berry Magazine

History of the Christ the King High School site

Christ The King Roman Catholic High School was founded in 1964 by the Bishop of Brooklyn, Bryan J. McEntergart and was built with funds received from the parishes of the Diocese of Brooklyn for the building of Catholic High Schools. When the building opened, it had a girls' school taught by the nuns from the Daughters of Wisdom order and a boys' school taught by the Marist Brothers. In 1973 the two schools were merged and it became the largest Catholic High School in the country with 2,200 students. Hugh Kirwan, who was the head of the boys' school, became the principal of the merged schools.

Before Christ The King High School was built, there was a baseball field in between Lutheran Cemetery and the New York Connecting Railroad (CSX today). It was a skinned diamond with the backstop located so that left field was toward Lutheran Cemetery, and on a long fly ball to right field, the outfielder had to run back on the railroad tracks. It took great skill for the right fielder to jump over the steel rails with his spiked shoes, watch out for trains, and still catch the ball. In centerfield fairly deep was an isolated wooden frame house. Occasionally a well hit ball to center field would hit the house and remain in play as the outfielders chased after the ball. This field was there in the 1930s and possibly as early as the 1920s. After World War II it was called Dutch Diaz's Field and eventually became the location for a number of Little League fields.

September 2016 Juniper Berry Magazine

September 2016 Table of Contents