Great news came in February, when it was reported at a COMET meeting that the Maspeth Jewish Center would not be sold or demolished as feared, but rather will become a school for approximately 15-20 yeshiva students. Rabbi Hayim Schwartz announced that there would be no dorms at the site and that the students would arrive by van every morning. The school will open this coming September.
Originally published in the March 2017 Juniper Berry Magazine
BERRY BITS: Maspeth Jewish Center repurposed as a school
March 2017 Table of Contents
- Yesterday & Today: Grand Ave looking west from 83rd Street
- Community Eyesores
- BERRY BITS: Farewell, Duane Reade
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Electeds' shelter lawsuit dismissed
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Perp shot by cop during gun struggle suing NYPD
- Patent to Francis Doughty and Companions
- 104th Pct Report
- JPCA to Honor Hometown Hero John Russo on March 16th at OLH
- Exactly who has been deported?
- Love Story in Juniper Valley Park
- Pete Polonski 1921-2016
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Atlas Park mall slow on plowing
- BERRY BITS: Maspeth Jewish Center repurposed as a school
- BERRY BITS: Office building to reach new heights
- BERRY BITS: Maspeth homeless shelter battle continues...
- BERRY BITS: Shelter fight contact information
- BERRY BITS: Seeing the cemetery through the trees
- BERRY BITS: Never-beginning bridge project actually begins!
- BERRY BITS: Unusually high water bills and leaks?
- BERRY BITS: Keeping an eye on the GMI
- BERRY BITS: How to say "Maspeth's 375th anniversary," Latin-style
- BERRY BITS: Petey wants to give back
- Elizabethan Error 2
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Council speaker, Crowley make laughable appearance on Fox 5
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: No good deed goes unpunished thanks to keyboard warriors
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Calamus sewer project a long nightmare
- Spring Clean Eating
- How Hank Behrman made it from Maspeth to the World Series
- Rev. Francis Doughty ‒ Maspeth's Puritan founder
- A walk on Jamaica Bay's wild side
- New Business Spotlight: Jacups Coffee Bistro
- OP-ED: The Looney Left
- The Mystery of the Missing Monument
- Return of the Trolley Dodgers
- Our Lady of Hope Pastoral Council
- The Mata Hari of Maspeth
- Letters to the Editor
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Facebook fools fall for phony photo
- "50 Years in Middle Village"
- Did you know?
- Killy's Corner
The Juniper Berry magazine, first published in 1938 is an all-volunteer effort containing articles on crime prevention, neighborhood issues, meeting reports and notices, neighborhood history and photographs, guest articles, editorials and more.
View Latest Issue
Connect with the JPCA
Sign up for breaking news alerts by entering your email address below.