As of November 1, 2004 all Class A multiple dwellings and private dwellings in New York City must be fitted with carbon monoxide detectors.
Local Law 7 of 2004, signed by Mayor Bloomberg in May of 2004, requires that carbon monoxide detectors be installed within 15 feet of sleeping rooms. This means all private homes as well as apartments, hotels, motels, school dormitories, hospitals, etc. must have these devices installed. Property owners are responsible for purchasing and installing approved detectors, and tenants are responsible for maintaining the devices. Landlords who purchase these devices may recoup a one time $25 fee from their tenants. This law is enforceable by the New York City
Fire Department, Department of Buildings, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development.
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas produced by the combustion of wood or fossil fuels such as coal, petroleum products, other fuel gases and wood. There are approximately 500 preventable deaths each year in the United States as a result of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
If you don't have a detector installed by now, you must obtain one as soon as possible. Also be sure that all plumbing and heating equipment is installed properly and maintained regularly to avoid the risks of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Anyone requiring further information may contact one of the city agencies mentioned above, or simply call 311.