“Relay for Life” is an overnight event designed to celebrate cancer survivorship and raise money for American Cancer Society research activities and programs. In honor of 8.5 million Americans who have survived cancer, teams of friends, families, and co-workers raise funds to continue the fight against the disease. During the event, which will be held overnight on June 21/22, at Brennan Field, Juniper Valley Park, teams of people will take turns walking or running laps around the track. Each team will try to keep one team member on the track at all times. (www.cancer.org)
Frances Forgione has been a resident of Middle Village for the last fifteen years. She graduated from St. John’s University, with a degree in accounting in 1993, and earned her CPA the following year. She expects to complete her law degree at New York Law School in 2004. I visited Frances in her spacious and elegantly furnished Accounting Office on Graham Avenue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Ever before entering her office, one can see evidence of her dedication to promoting the “Relay for Life” and other cancer prevention and cure fundraising events. Posters similar to the one included here and other flyers adorn her office windows.
When I asked Frances why she was involved with this worthy cause, tears came to her eyes as she talked about her sister Amelia R. Becker, who died of cancer seven years ago. She read from a document which appears on her webpage: “. . . let us celebrate their lives, to remember them, and to thank them for the time that they were with us, no matter how short. And while we are celebrating their lives, we get to give the funds that we collect to a charity that can help those in our lives today to stay with us a little longer.”
HOW YOU CAN PARTICIPATE:
• First of all, mark your calendar for the overnight relay event scheduled for Juniper Valley Park for Saturday/Sunday, June 21/22, 2003. It begins at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday evening and continues to 10:00 a.m. on Sunday morning.
• Get together as many hardy souls, family members (children included), relatives, friends, and others, who might be interested in celebrating life and supporting cancer survivors.
• Register by June 19, by calling Frances Forgione at (718)482-1400. You may also e-mail her at: email@example.com. On-site registration is also permitted.
• The registration fee is $10.00 per person. Other donations and sponsors are also welcome.€ A special table and tent for cancer survivors will be available.
• The area will be well illuminated; food will be available; and DJ Anthony Perrotto, from Williamsburg, will supply the music.
• Community spirit will be evident throughout the night.