Frederick Herman, Despondent Since the Death of His Wife, Dies by Poison
The Old Man's Body Identified By His Daughter, With Whom He Made His Home.
(Special to the Eagle) Corona, L. I. – The mystery surrounding the disappearance of Frederick Herman, a retired New York confectioner, 81 years old, who resided with his daughter, Mrs. John Huhn on Sycamore avenue, this village, was solved yesterday when his dead body was found lying on the grave of his wife in Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village, by George Frank of 312 Harman street, Brooklyn, who was passing through the burying place. A bottle that had contained carbolic acid plainly-told the tale of suicide and a letter in the dead man's hand showed that grief over the death of his wife, which took place August 3, 1892, and despondency, caused him to take his life.

Since his wife's death the old manmade daily journeys to the cemetery, winter and summer, and placed flowers upon her grave. Yesterday he carefully laid a small bunch of roses at the head of the grave before he swallowed the deadly poison. Herman left the house of his daughter last Saturday evening and when he did not return Tuesday, she became alarmed and an alarm was sent out by the Newtown police. No trace of the old man could be found until yesterday. The letter he had clasped in his hand was to Mrs. Muth of 228 West Twenty third street. Manhattan, and was written in German. It is as follows:

Dear Mrs. Muth, I have been very despondent. My health has been bad and my sorrows so great that I have lost heart. I now end my wretchedness. Good-bye (signed) FREDERICK HERMAN

When the body was found the Newtown police took charge of the case until the arrival of Coroner Ruoff, who took it to his Grand street Morgue where the old man was identified late last night by his daughter, Mrs. Huhn. – Brooklyn Eagle, June 8, 1900

Boy Who Disappeared From Home in 1899 Heard From.
Middle Village L. I. – After almost despairing of ever hearing from their son, Henry, who disappeared from his home in this place in April 1899, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stroth have received a letter from him postmarked New York, but which gives them no information as to his whereabouts or what he is doing, except that he is alive and well. Young Stroth, who is the son of a prosperous cigarmaker of this village, was sent to Brooklyn last April by his father to purchase $200 worth of internal revenue stamps and to deliver a check for the payment of a mortgage. The boy purchased the stamps and mailed them to his father and delivered the check. When he left his home, he had $127 of his own money. Since that time his parents had not heard from him until this week. – The Brooklyn Daily Eagle June 10, 1900

Buried in a cave-in at Newtown This Morning
(Special to the Eagle.) Newtown, L. I. – Jugustine Corattie, 40 years old, at 348 Metropolitan avenue, Brooklyn, an Italian laborer, while digging in a sand bank at the side of the New York and Queens County Railroad Company, on Juniper avenue, near the Juniper Swamp road, Middle Village, this morning, at 7:14 o'clock was buried and killed at once by a cave-in.

Frank Darone, 17 years old, of 236 North Fifth street, Brooklyn, was very severely injured internally and was taken to the St. John's Hospital in a dangerous condition. John Morgun of Union avenue, Brooklyn, escaped without serious injury. Peter J. Fallsbury at 312 South Third street, Brooklyn, the superintendent in charge of the work, was arrested and after being arraigned before Magistrate Luke Connorton was paroled to appear for examination on July 7.

The men belonged to a gang employed by Edward McKeever, a Brooklyn contractor. The embankment was being dug away to permit the building of an extra track for the Lutheran Cemetery branch of the New York and Queens County Trolley Company. Corattie was buried ten feet under the surface and Darone, three feet. – The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, June 23, 1900

Daniel Ulrich, 29 years old, a clerk, of 3 Prospect Place, Maspeth, was found early yesterday seated on a bench in the Fresh Pond station of the B. R. T. elevated, Middle village, suffering from a pistol shot wound in the left side of the body. He told the police he received the wound during an altercation at Maspeth and refused to give any further information, declining to tell the name of the men who shot him. Ulrich was removed to the German Hospital, Ridgewood. His condition is said to be not serious. – Brooklyn Eagle, June 25, 1917