Patrick Stiner Meets Death in the Darkness of Maspeth
Long Island City. L. I., November 6- Patrick Stiner, a carpenter residing at Fifth avenue, Maspeth, was killed by a New York and Queens County Railway trolley car, between Columbia and Perry avenues, Maspeth late last night. Stiner was walking on the track and the highway at that point is so poorly illuminated that Motorman Samuel Qual could not see the man. Stiner was 35 years old and his body was sent to Skelton’s morgue, Newtown. Motorman Qual was placed under arrest. – Brooklyn Daily Eagle, November 6, 1900

A story is now going the rounds in Maspeth in which Jacob Staub, president of the American Marine Brass Foundry Company of Diamond Street, Greenpoint, played the leading role although entirely against his will. According to the account, which has been verified by his son, Mr. Staub was backing his automobile, a sedan, out of his yard last Saturday morning before the rest of the family was aroused when he backed into the fence and stalled the engine at the same time. The fact that the engine stalled would have caused him no concern under ordinary circumstances but as the self-starter had been disconnected and the bundle carrier effectively held the outer door closed. The crash against the fence pinned the only door through which he could hope to get out of the car shut and he was held a prisoner in his own car. After vainly trying to climb out of the window, Mr. Staub blew his horn until his wife became aroused. She called the boys, Arthur and George, and they quickly dressed and hurried down to release their father from his small temporary prison. The boys found that they had to jack the car up and push it back in order to get it clear of the fence. This they did as quickly as possible and Mr. Staub continued on his way to his business, but little the worse for his novel experience. The fence is being rebuilt. – Newtown Register, November 12, 1921

The Grave Despoilers’ case.
MIDDLE VILLAGE, L. I., Nov. 11.- The hearing in the cases against Jacob Schrieber, Peter Ross, and John Schmidt, charged with stealing flowers from graves in the Lutheran Cemetery, was resumed to-day before Justice Schumacher In this village. Officer Wermich testified that in Schrieber’s apartment he found wreaths and sixty-nine frames upon which floral pieces were constructed. Peter Ross, one of the prisoners, admitted selling Schrieber the frames and that he took them from the graves, receiving $8 for 575 frames. He said he was a florist and gardener in the Lutheran Cemetery. Schrieber and Schmidt were then discharged and the case of Ross was adjourned until Nov 14, so as to enable him to procure counsel. – New York Times, November 12, 1892

Mrs. Elizabeth Yarkevis of Maspeth, L. I., was today acquitted in the Queens County Court by a jury on a charge of arson. She was accused of having set fire to her apartment on Johnson Avenue, Maspeth, about a year ago. The first trial resulted in a split jury. Since then, her husband has died. She is about 27 years old and of prepossessing appearance. – Brooklyn Daily Eagle, November 21, 1912