A lot has changed at this intersection, but much also remains the same. The top photo was taken circa 1920. The building in the center on the right side of the street is the home of the Haspel-Staab VFW post today. In the 1920s, it appeared to have been a store of some kind. You will notice that many of the houses present in the top photo remain today. A major difference in 1920 is that the Long Island Expressway was still 36 years away from being completed in this area. The open lands seen in the background were farms until about 1925 and would later become Rego Park. Starting in the 1890s, this area of
Middle Village was known as “Newtown Heights” due to its elevation and proximity to the historic center of Newtown. It later was considered part of Elmhurst South but in 2002 it officially joined Middle Village when the zip code was changed from 11373 to 11379 after the Juniper Park Civic Association successfully petitioned the Flushing Postmaster for the change.
© 2020 The Juniper Park Civic Association Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SERVING MIDDLE VILLAGE AND MASPETH SINCE 1938.