This road, located in Maspeth just south of Grand Avenue, was once called “Columbia Avenue”. This circa-1900 postcard lists it as Columbia “Place” but this is definitely the same street. We know this because the streetscape has not changed all that much. The presence of cars parked on both sides of the road and the trees lining the street were both completely absent at the turn of the 20th Century. The gas lamps of the time have also been replaced with streetlights. But every building featured on the postcard is still standing today which is pretty remarkable considering the pace of development in the area. The trees on the hills of Mount Olivet Cemetery can be seen in the backgrounds of both photos.
© 2020 The Juniper Park Civic Association Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SERVING MIDDLE VILLAGE AND MASPETH SINCE 1938.