I hope everyone has had a pleasant fall and is easing into the colder weather. As we enter into the holiday season, the men and women of the 104th will proudly be out there every day. They all will be on their usual vigilant patrol, but will be paying special attention to prevent burglaries and grand larcenies which tend to spike around the holiday season. Here are a few quick tips to help protect yourself from becoming a victim of holiday related crimes:
• During your holiday shopping, plan your purchases in advance and do not carry large amounts of cash on your person.
• Do not leave your car unattended for long periods of time with packages exposed in the back or trunk. This pertains to anywhere you park, but especially within shopping centers.
• Be mindful of your belongings in public places. Do not leave bags or other belongings unattended (pocketbooks, shopping bags, etc.).
• Lock your windows and doors when not in your home.
• If you are having a package delivered, try to prearrange for the delivery to occur when someone is home to receive the package. Do not allow packages to sit on your front stoop for longer than necessary.
• Lastly, as always, if you see something, say something. These tips can prevent the loss and inconvenience of property being stolen as well as keep you and your family safe.
Thank you for your continued support of the New York City Police Department. I wish you all a happy and healthy holiday season.