Maspeth Pole’s Wife and Friends Had Desperate Struggle to Prevent Him From Killing Himself

His wife and two friends who were in the house at the time fought for an hour yesterday to prevent Ignatz Kaivulgans, a young Polander, who lives on Washington street, Maspeth, from committing suicide when he was seized with an attack of acute mania. Kaivulgans was seated in the kitchen, talking with his wife and the two fellow-countrymen, when he suddenly sprang from his chair and began to rave. With a shriek he pounced upon the big carving knife which lay on the table, but before he could use it one of the other Poland. Others present had grasped his arm. Kaivulgans’ wife and the second visitor joined in the struggle which followed. The table was overturned, dishes thrown on the floor and pictures knocked from the wall before the raving Pole was subdued One of the men then telephoned to the Glendale police headquarters and an ambulance was summoned. Surgeon Meyersburgh of the German Hospital said that the man had acute mania and he was taken to the Kings County Hospital in Brooklyn. – Brooklyn Eagle, June 13, 1908

Middle Village, L. I., August 4 – A horse valued at $400 and owned by the Frank Ibert Brewing Company of East Williamsburgh was so badly injured by being struck by a trolley car of the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company, on Metropolitan avenue, that it had to be killed. The driver of the wagon was in the act of turning off Metropolitan avenue into Forest avenue, and before the wagon cleared the track the fender of the car struck the right foreleg of one of the horses and broke it. The animal was killed by an officer of the Society for the Prevention of cruelty to Animals. – The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Aug 4, 1900

Catherine and Henry Munster, of Middle Village, Long Island, attracted attention as they drove their rag wagon through East New York on Tuesday night. The woman was pounding her 11-year-old child, who is partially paralyzed, with her fist, while the father struck him with a whip handle. Blood was flowing in streams from the boy’s face when the parents were arrested. They had been drinking beer and the child had cried. Justice Smith sent them both to jail for 30 days. – New York Times, July 23, 1885

Joseph Flannigan, fourteen years old, who lives at 11 Summit place Maspeth, was picked up unconscious this morning at Grand and Roebling Street. He was found by Policeman Shaughnessy of the Bedford avenue station. When Dr. Haupt of the Eastern District Hospital examined the boy, he found him suffering from alcoholism. The boy later said that a man in Maspeth had given him whisky and put him aboard a Grand streetcar. He was sent to the shelter of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. The police are looking for the man the boy named. – Brooklyn Daily Eagle, July 26, 1907


Another liquor raid was staged Monday night by Federal agents in the lonely cemetery section of Maspeth, making the fourth in three days. Ben Sentz, thirty-five, a tailor, whose shop is in a two-story dwelling on Maurice avenue at Newtown avenue, was arrested on charges of illegal possession of whiskey, alcohol and wine. Sentz was released on bail and will be arraigned later. – Newtown Register, August 7, 1926