In 1950s, trolleys were still traveling the roads of Maspeth and Middle Village. This cherry red model ran along the LIC-Ridgewood route and is shown on northbound 61st Street at its stop at Flushing Avenue. St. Stan’s church can be seen in the distance. Also on the opposite side of Flushing stood a diner, later to be replaced by the Wetson’s burger chain. Fast forward to 2020, and the trolley wires above the road are gone along with the trolleys. Q39 buses now run along the route, but the stop is in the same place. Dunkin Donuts now stands across Flushing in the footprint of the diner. 61st Street was originally part of Fresh Pond Road until city planners determined that FPR should run in more of a straight line. 61st Street then became known as “Old Fresh Pond Road” until the street names were replaced with numbers in the early decades of the 20th Century.
© 2020 The Juniper Park Civic Association Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SERVING MIDDLE VILLAGE AND MASPETH SINCE 1938.