The Garlinge Memorial on Grand Avenue lists the names of some of the sons of our area that fell during WWI. Reprinted here are stories about many of them along with short biographies of others that perished but whose names were not included in the remembrance.

Pvt. Arnold H. Windhorst, Company A, Fifty-third Pioneer Infantry, formerly the forty-seventh infantry, died at the base hospital yesterday from heart disease. He had been ill for the past two months. Windhorst was 23 years old and lived at 1 Jay Avenue, Maspeth, LI. He enlisted January 8, 1917, and was a conscientious and well-liked soldier. Following impressive military services [at Camp Wadsworth in Spartanburg, SC] the body was shipped to the private’s Maspeth home. The men of his company acted as an escort at the funeral procession. – Brooklyn Eagle, Feb. 27, 1918.

Pvt. Charles A. (Frederick) Scholze, Pvt., Co. H., 30th Inf., Died of Pneumonia, April 6, 1918.

Corporal William Faller, 28 years old, of Middle Village, Queens, died of wounds on June 22, was the proprietor of a hotel on Metropolitan Avenue near Lutheran Cemetery before he was drafted on December 15 and sent to Camp Upton. From there, he was transferred to Camp Greene, Charlotte, NC and assigned to Company M, Seventh Infantry. He was made a corporal before he went to France just before Easter. The dispatch containing the news of his death was received by his brother-in-law, a Middle Village florist, on Saturday. Corporal Faller was born in Middle Village on December 6, 1889 and was graduated from St. Margaret’s Parochial School. He leaves a daughter, Martha, 7 years old; two brothers, Theodore and Henry; three sisters, Mrs. Josephine Hoffmeisner, Mrs. Mary Reiss and Mrs. Augusta Riede. – Brooklyn Eagle, July 15, 1918

Sgt. Thomas J. Erb, 23 years old, of Maspeth, LI, who distinguished himself by refusing to leave an outpost during the course of a four-hour bombardment, has been reported dead of wounds. Sergeant Erb was a member of Company F, 165th Infantry, the Rainbow Division. He received his education in the Maspeth Public Schools and the Newtown High School. He served on the Mexican border as a member of the Seventy-first regiment. He was made a sergeant last April. He is survived by his mother, three brothers and three sisters. His mother received word of her son’s death last night by telegram from the War Department. Sergeant Erb was employed by Albert & Willey, architects, as a draughtsman. – Brooklyn Eagle, August 8, 1918

Pvt. Louis Roscoe of 10 Fulton Street [now 53rd Ave], Maspeth, NY, assigned to Co. L., 105th Infantry, died of wounds August 31, 1918.

Pvt. William Stenchever of 1 Hill Street [now 57th Road], Maspeth, was another Camp Upton man who was killed. He fell on August 14. Private Stenchever was a member of Company A, 305th Infantry. Before he was drafted last Fall, he was a truck driver. He leaves his wife and a child 5 weeks old. He had been in France since April. – Brooklyn Eagle, September 4, 1918

Pvt. Joseph B. Garity, Jr. was born at Maspeth, Long Island, on April 20, 1895. He lived at 88 Mount Olivet Ave [now 59th Drive], Maspeth, New York and worked as a clerk for Greer, Crane & Webb at 74 Broadway, New York, NY. He enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on April 26, 1918 and was sent to Parris Island and Quantico, Virginia. He arrived in France on July 11, 1918 as a Private in the 78th (E) Company, Sixth Marine Regiment, United States Marine Corps, the 4th Marine Brigade, attached to the 2nd Division, United States Army. On September 15, 1918, in the terrific fighting in Saint Mihiel sector, he sustained a severe gunshot wound in the left leg and suffered gas infection, received in action with the enemy. Mortally wounded, he was admitted to Evacuation Hospital No. 1, near Toule on September 16, 1918 he was operated upon, but so serious was the nature of his wounds that the most skillful care could serve only to make him as comfortable as possible until his death. He died on September 16, 1918. He was buried in Grave 25924, American Cemetery No. 108. In 1921 his body was brought to his home at Maspeth, Long Island, from which, on July 16, 1921, he was buried in Saint John’s Cemetery at Middle Village, Queens County, Long Island. A full military funeral was accorded him by his comrades of the Joseph B. Garity Post, American Legion, Ridgewood, Long Island.

Pvt. Leroy Vincent McNeil of 56 Clinton Avenue, Maspeth, LI, a member of Co. L 165th Infantry, is dead of wounds received in action, according to a telegram received by his parents. He was 21 years old, and enlisted in the 71st Regiment in May 1917. When the 165th was organized, he was transferred and sent to Camp Mills. He went to France last October. He had been in action many times. In writing to his mother on Mother’s Day, he enclosed a lily of the valley which he had gathered in the trenches about 40 feet underground. His last letter was dated July 20. In it he said: “Just told that we could write home, and we have about an hour to do it. We sure have had some lively doings now that the drive has started. We have been under the heaviest bombardment of the war, but came out safe, and I am feeling first rate. Our regiment did great work and lived up to its name. The boys are in it heart and soul. We certainly did put it over on the Huns and we intend to keep it up.” Pvt. McNeil was born in the Bronx and received his early education at St. Jerome’s Parochial School there. Afterward he worked for the Standard Oil Company in Long Island City. A military requiem mass was celebrated today in St. Stanislaus Church, Maspeth. – Brooklyn Eagle, September 23, 1918

Seaman John Weiss of 3 Hinman St [now 75th Street], Middle Village, NY died September 23, 1918

Seaman Louis W Engesser of 11 Dysen St. [now 73rd Place], Maspeth aboard the USS Salem, scout cruiser (No.3, later CL-3), liberty boat returning from Key West, Fla to ship, capsized, missing, September 29, 1918

Cpl. Charles J. Miller of 96 Jefferson Ave [now 71st Street], Maspeth, NY, assigned to Co. D, 22nd Inf. was murdered in the line of duty as M.P. (gunshot), September 30, 1918

Pvt. Walter Alfred Garlinge, 31 years old, formerly of 2 Church St [now 57th Drive], Maspeth, was killed on September 2. His widowed mother, Mrs. Duretta Garlinge, now lives on Hill Street. Pvt. Garlinge, who belonged to Company A, 105th Infantry, was a drafted man. He was graduated from P.S. 72, Maspeth. Before going into the army, he worked as a tinsmith and roofer. He was first sent to Camp Upton and then to Spartanburg. Pvt. Garlinge was killed while fighting in Flanders. He leaves his mother and a sister. – October 10, 1918

Pvt. Hugh J. Toner of Company F, 23rd Infantry, whose home was at 38 Johnson Ave [now Caldwell Ave], Maspeth, was killed on September 13. He enlisted shortly after war was declared and received his military training at Fort Slocum and Syracuse, NY. He was sent to France in September 1917. Pvt. Toner wrote his last letter to his sister on August 24. In another letter dated July 11, he wrote: “We were sent to hold the village the Marines had captured. They were in it for five days. The Marines didn’t ask to toss up any coin to see who would eat the chicken and pigeons and cows that were in the town? They said: ‘We want that village.’ And of course, we went in and took it. Well, we relieved them so they could go behind the lines for a rest as we had had ours and were anxious to get into the village. We Americans sure have the Boches buffaloed, but we don’t take any chances with them.” He said also that the boys at the front had a daily ration of tobacco and cigarettes. Pvt. Toner was educated at P.S. 72, Maspeth, and worked for the Standard Oil Company. He was 27 years old and a member of the St. Stanislaus R.C. Church, Maspeth. – Brooklyn Eagle, October 12, 1918

Pvt. William Harry Daly of 16 Fisk Ave. [now 69th Street], Maspeth, N.Y. with the 3d Q. M. Det., Newport News, Va. died of influenza and bronchopneumonia, October 15, 1918.

Pvt. Louis Serlin, assigned to the 326th Infantry, was killed in action, October 16, 1918.

Cpl. Jerry Palamonte of 64 Lenox Ave [now 58th Ave], Maspeth, NY assigned to the U.S. Army 102nd Engineer Regiment, 27th Division, died from disease October 19, 1918. He is buried in Plot C Row 7 Grave 5 at the Somme American Cemetery in Bony, France.

Pvt. Frank J. Kowalinski, lived at 117 Clinton Ave, Maspeth. He was a Private in Company C, 328th Infantry. He died at the age of 24 of wounds in France, on October 20, 1918. Maspeth Avenue between 61st and 64th streets was recently named “Frank Kowalinski Way.” Kowalinski was the first soldier of Polish descent to be killed in action during World War I and the Polish Legion of American Veterans honored his memory by naming their Maspeth post after him.

Pvt. William Foyle lived at 17 High Street [now 58th Street], Maspeth. He was a Private in Company A, 105th Infantry. He died of wounds on October 28, 1918.

Pvt. Peter Cheslock of 76 Hill St. [now 57th Road], Maspeth, assigned to the 347th Infantry, died of pneumonia, November 2, 1918.

Pvt. Joseph Lambert Hunt who made his home with his aunt, Mrs. Scott, of 78 Eliot Avenue, Maspeth, was killed in action on September 27. He joined the 23rd regiment in September 1917 and was sent to Spartanburg where he was assigned to Co. F 106th Infantry. He sailed for France last May. The last letter received from him was written from a hospital where he was undergoing treatment for trench fever. He was educated at a Brooklyn parochial school and after the death of his parents made his home with his godmother who is also his aunt, in Maspeth. He was working with a plumber when he enlisted. Lambert Hunt, grandfather of the boy, fought in the Civil War. – Brooklyn Eagle,
November 24, 1918

Pvt. Fred Sundermier of Lenox Ave [now 58th Ave], Maspeth died of influenza in a British hospital on November 4. He enlisted and trained at Spartanburg, SC, and was sent to France last May. The matron of the hospital wrote to his young wife: “Sorry to tell you that your husband died this morning of influenza. Every care was taken and everything was done that could be done. He will be buried tomorrow in a little cemetery close to the hospital. Please accept the assurance of our sympathy.” Pvt. Sundermier was 22 years old and had been married for a year and 7 months. His wife has gone to live with her mother at 15 Lenox Ave, Maspeth. Sundermier worked for Collier’s Weekly. He belonged to Co. D, 102d Eng. – Brooklyn Eagle, December 2, 1918

Pvt. Harvey T. Thorn of Co. L, 326th Infantry, died of wounds on October 21, according to a War Department telegram received by his mother who lives in Lincoln Place [now 58th Ave], Maspeth. Mrs. Thorn believes that a mistake has been made because in a letter from a Red Cross Hospital written the same day, it was stated that he was about to be moved to a base hospital. Pvt. Thorn was drafted April 1917, and was sent to France the same month. He was graduated from P.S. 72, Queens, and was chauffeur for Mr. McKenna of Laurel Hill. He was 27 years old. – Brooklyn Eagle, December 2, 1918

Pvt. Boleslaw Wieniewski, 24 years old, of Company B, 328th Inf. died on October 16th of wounds received in action. His brother lives at 88 Broad Street [now 59th Street] in Maspeth. He had been nine years in the United States when he was drafted in November 1917, and sent to Camp Upton. Last April 1918, he was sent overseas. He was wounded severely in the arm and leg according to a Red Cross letter. A later letter from his commanding officer told how he had died in spite of the best efforts of doctors and nurses to save him. He also paid a glowing tribute to the boy’s bravery, saying that he was buried with the rites of his own religion and full military honors. He was born in Poland and worked at the Nichol Copper Company, Maspeth. – Brooklyn Eagle, December 13, 1918

Landsman Electrician Edward Joseph La Chance of the U.S. Navy died December 12, 1918.

Pvt. Anton Kilsky of 27 Remsen St., Maspeth, is reported to have died from bronchial pneumonia on December 1. His cousins, who are his only relatives in this country, do not know whether he died in this country or in France. Mrs. C. Jarkovsky received the letter containing the news of his death last week. Pvt. Kilsky was drafted and sent to Camp Upton. He was a Russian by birth but came to this country 11 years ago. He worked as a farm hand before he was drafted. – Brooklyn Eagle, December 20, 1918

Pvt. Anthony J. Nowak of 22 New St. [now 58th Road], Maspeth, L.I., died of pneumonia in Vancouver Banks, WA, February 3, 1919.

Pvt. Stephen J. Shaddock died of wounds on February 18. His home was at 25 Pinckney Ave [now 69th Place], Maspeth. He had already been reported severely wounded in action on October 8. Shaddock, who was only 23, was drafted in October 1917, when he was sent to Camp Upton. He was transferred to Camp Gordon, GA, at a later date and sent overseas in May 1918. He saw much active service with the 321st F.A. until he fell in battle. Mrs. Shaddock had two other sons in the service, Daniel Shaddock, who was attached to the Aero Squadron, Mineola, and who recently received his honorable discharge from the army, and Michael Shaddock, who is still stationed at the Port Terminal, Charleston, SC. – Brooklyn Eagle, March 12, 1919.

Sgt. Frank Charles Schlereth of 77 Jefferson Ave [now 71st Street], Maspeth, NY, assigned to M.C. Intermediate Q M. Depot No.1. S.0.S. A.P.0. 708 died of bronchopneumonia, March 26, 1919.

Sgt. Martin Beifus – No. 1710290, Co. M, 308th Inf. (deceased) – was presented the Distinguished Service Cross for extreme bravery and heroism displayed on or about September 12, near Serval. When his company attacked in an effort to reach the Butte of Beaumont, Sgt. Beifus, at the head of his platoon with utter disregard for his own personal safety, advanced singlehanded and with the help of a Chauchat rifle and some bombs cleared out the enemy trench, which trench was later occupied by his company. Although mortally wounded, he continued to urge his men to further efforts, refusing to be evacuated until the fight was over. Next of kin: M.L. Lawrence, sister, 510 Fifth Ave. – Brooklyn Eagle, April 4, 1919