A Detachment of Troop A Rode to Maspeth and Rioters Fled.

The barns of the Grand Street, Newtown and Bowery Bay Branch of the Brooklyn Heights Railroad are situated here. The men who struck have been very quiet until to-day, when they learned that the company intended to reopen the line.

When the non-union men arrived, there was a desperate fight, and it was necessary to send for troops to disperse the mob. A detachment of Troop A responded and the rioters fled.

A fire in a saloon on Maspeth Avenue about 10 o’clock attracted a big crowd, in which were many strikers. Maspeth Hook and Ladder Company No. 5, whose house is on Grand Street, about two blocks from the railroad barns, had just returned from the fire when Car 1411 hove in sight. In it were eighteen motormen and six conductors on their way to the barns.

The sight maddened the strikers and their sympathizers, and some of them seized the hook and ladder truck and placed it across the tracks. The car was forced to stop, the mob rushed for it, and a scene of wild disorder followed. The two Deputy Sheriffs who had met the car at the Queens County line were pushed to one side, the non-union men were knocked down, kicked and battered. and then dragged into the fire. company’s house. The doors were closed and locked. The car was taken to the barns by Anthony Quigg, one of the company’s starters. Sheriff Doht had already sworn in a large force of special deputies in order to assist in opening the line.

The specials, seventy five in number, reached Maspeth just after the capture of the non-union men, in command of Deputy Sheriff William Methven of Flushing. Methven, with several of his men, went to the fire house and demanded to be admitted.

The strikers laughed at him. It was said there were fully 100 in the mob around the firehouse at the time, and feeling that his force was inadequate. Methven telephoned Sheriff Doht at Long Island City for reinforcements. The Sheriff got fifty more specials and came with them to Maspeth. He found the situation so serious that he asked Gen. McLeer for troops.

While waiting for the soldiers the Sheriff made a raid on the firehouse and captured seven strikers. The prisoners were taken to the car barns and held in custody for a time. Before releasing them the Sheriff read the riot act to them. While the non-union men were nursing their injuries the strikers strove to get them to join the union. All finally took the oath of allegiance but one. He was Rudolph Arigido of Allegheny, Penn. He was pounded and hammered, and when he finally escaped he had hardly enough strength to reach the car barns.

The troopers arrived at a gallop late in the afternoon and at once charged the rioters. The mob fell back like reeds.

Boasting strikers took to their heels, fling pell mell into the open doors of friendly saloons, climbing over fences, and scurrying across lots-anywhere to get away from the horsemen. The clattering cavalcade swept through the street and left it as quiet as it is on Sunday. After about an hour the troops returned to Brooklyn.

Sheriff Doht said that at least ten of the non- union men were severely hurt. John Gebhard, a special deputy , was badly beaten by strikers. Superintendent of Motive Power Whittlesee said that the company would make an attempt to run cars to-morrow morning at about 10 o’clock. Sheriff Doht will put four special deputies on each car and will have others guarding both sides of the street. It is expected that trouble will ensue.