The opening of Eliot Avenue coincided with the construction of the Juniper Park Homes. The first model home was opened on 79th Street; the first of 56 homes that opened in the fall of 1938.
The homeowners formed the “Residents of Juniper Park Homes,” which in 1942 merged with the Eliot Avenue Civic Association and became the Juniper Park Civic Association.
Both JPCA and Eliot Avenue are celebrating our 85th anniversaries this year. Eliot Avenue, as widened and paved from Metropolitan Avenue to Queens Boulevard, opened officially on February 11, 1939, and was referred to as “World’s Fair Avenue” because it was one of the few routes that Brooklynites could take to get to Flushing Meadows at the time.