There was a devastating fire on Myrtle Avenue on the evening of Saturday, June 24th. The fire is believed to have started inside the Farmer’s Market grocery store which had been closed for the day. The building was destroyed and 2 families lost everything. The Glendale community quickly rallied around them, raising money and donating clothing and furniture.

One of the reasons the fire took 4 hours to bring under control was the fact that the 2 closest hydrants were not functional which wasted precious minutes. Council Member Crowley, chair of the fire committee of the City Council, has not held a hearing on this matter since the problem was first identified by the Comptroller's office in 2011, but told a reporter from NBC news that she plans to hold one “by the end of the year.”